Happy first day of summer! I don’t know where you guys all live, but here – the weather is sub par to normal “Summer” weather! I had a few hours off yesterday and was feeling cold to the bone – I wanted something creamy, filling, thick and with a spicy kick!
Curried Millet w/Greens
1 tsp. oil
1 onion diced
1 clove garlic minced ( more if you love garlic flavour)
3 TBSP curry (I used mild spiced curry)
1 cup millet
1 red pepper sliced into short strips
2 cups chopped cauliflower
2 cups chicken broth
1 can rinsed and drained chickpeas
1 can full fat coconut milk
3 TBSP (or to taste) fish sauce (sub 1.5 tsp. soy sauce for vegan)
1 TBSP sugar (or to taste)
5 cups packed greens!
- Sauté onion & garlic in oil
- Add in curry powder and millet (I find toasting the curry powder and millet adds to the flavour).
- Add in the rest of the ingredients (except greens)
- Simmer on medium low for 30 – 40 mins or until millet has softened
- Taste – you may need to add in more fish sauce and or sugar – depending on your taste buds
- Final step – add in greens just before serving!
- You may need to add extra water/broth - depending on how thick you would like it. It thickened up overnight!
- I say add fish sauce and sugar to taste because everyone likes their flavours different – I am a huge fan of the salty – so it may be too salty for other’s taste buds!!
- All curries taste different and have different spice levels – so be sure to do lots of taste testing!
Hope you enjoyed this recipe! I know I’m looking forward to the left overs!